If your self-managed Argonne-owned Mac does not have Self Service installed, it may not be compliant with Argonne and Department of Energy policies. Installing the Self Service app will not only accomplish this, but give you shortcuts to install a number of apps and packages, similar to the Mac App Store.
Installing this does not affect your ability to run your own computer. You remain a full administrator on the machine. You will see two new administrator accounts – celsadmin and aciadmin. These accounts are for CELS Systems or BIS Desktop Support to be able to provide systems administration on the machine if requested. Please note, because this computer was not set up by us, neither of these accounts will be able to decrypt your disk should you forget your password.
- In your browser of choice, visit https://jamf-pro.anl.gov:8443/enroll/ and login with your Argonne username and password.
- Click “Continue” when directed to install the MDM profile.
- Click continue to install the CA Certificate.
- Click Continue to install the MDM profile.
- It will also direct you to accept the profile in the Security and Privacy prefpane, which you will need to do.
- Provide your system admin credentials (ie, the user account you created when you set up the computer) to authorize it.
- You should then see a green “Verified” checkmark next to the Argonne National Laboratory title in the MDM Profile.
- A number of other profiles will appear as well. When all is said and done, your Profiles prefpane should look like this:
- Shortly, an app called “Self Service” will show up on your computer and will open. At this point your computer will have most of the requirements, namely Eracent software license auditing, and privacy notice/login banner.
- Intel macs: We strongly recommend you install McAfee Endpoint Protection at this point. To do that, click the “login” button in the upper right of Self Service and use your Argonne credentials. McAfee will appear in the list of apps you can install, click install.
- It will take a little bit to install, 5-10 minutes. You’ll receive a couple of popups along the way. One will be McAfee ePO Remote Provisioning Tool, you can just close that window. The other will be the McAfee Alert indicating a restart is required. Please click Restart Now in that box.
- After restarting, you’ll get a notice that Filevault will be enabled. This turns on full disk encryption. Your password will unlock the disk after every reboot.
- Apple Silicon macs: McAfee does not work on M1 macs yet. We will update this when McAfee has addressed it.
- At this point, you can click the install button on any of the Lab software packages in Self Service if there are packages you’d like installed easily. You can also install software via the usual other routes. Logging in to Self Service will present more software options than the logged out list. The “Provision Software” app, if you have that option, does Office as well as a bunch of other common apps. “Nomad” is a handy one that syncs your laptop password with your ANL password.